Kukulhu Banas (Chicken Buns)
1/2 tsp sugar
100 ml milk
50 ml hot water
2 tsp of dried yeast
200 grams of plain flour
1 tsp salt
25 grams margarine
2 cups boiled and shredded chicken
4 large red onions coarsely chopped
2 tbsp Kukulhu Havaadhu (Maldivian chicken curry powder)
3 pieces cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
¼ tsp cinnamon cardamom powder
3 pieces rampe leaves (3 inches each)
1 hot pepper chilli Githeyo mirus (chopped)
2 ½ tbsp sugar
2 tbsp margarine
2 tsp salt
1 egg (beaten)
Preparation of the dough
1. Mix milk and hot water in a bowl.
2. Dissolve the salt, sugar, and yeast in this mixture.
3. Cover and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl rub margarine to flour, pour the above prepared mixture and knead into medium soft dough.
5. Cover with a moist cloth and leave aside until the dough doubles in size.
6. Punch it down, and gently knead again.
7. Divide into small balls and immediately use the filling
Preparation of the filling
1. Heat a wok and add margarine.
2. Add onion, sugar, rampe leaves, cinnamon sticks and stir fry until the onions turn golden brown.
3. Add curry powder, chilli, cinnamon cardamom powder, shredded chicken and salt.
4. Stir for a few more minutes.
5. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks and rampe leaves.
Preparation of kukulhu Banas
1. Preheat oven
2. Press the dough into small cup shapes and place the filling inside it.
3. Cover and make into the shape of a bun.
4. Grease a baking tray and arrange the buns.
5. Rub the egg on top of the bun and bake until the buns appear golden brown on top as shown in the picture.
6. Serve hot or cold