Banbukeylu Harisa (A Maldivian Breadfruit Curry)
1 small breadfruit (skinned, cored and steamed until tender)
¼ smoked tuna (cut into very thin slices)
2 onions (chopped)
1 hot pepper chilli (githeyo mirus)
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp ginger paste
2 cups thick coconut milk
¼ tsp turmeric powder
4 curry leaves
1 piece of pandan leaf
1 tbsp ghee
2 tsp salt (or according to taste)
- Mash the steamed breadfruit to a pulp and leave aside.
- Heat ghee, add ¼ of the chopped onion, pandan leaf, ginger and curry leaves. Stir fry till the onions turn golden brown. Remove and transfer to a plate.
- Mix the remaining onion, chilli, salt and lemon juice until the juices from the onion flow into the mixture.
- Add tuna and mix thoroughly.
- Add the breadfruit pulp and mix thoroughly again.
- Pour the thick coconut milk and turmeric powder. Bring to a boil on low heat.
- Once the curry begins to boil add the fried onion mixture.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice or roshi.
Note: This is an amazingly tasty traditional breadfruit curry. Easy to make and a taste that lingers on….!Hope you would enjoy this as much as we do.