Kashikeyo Flan (Maldivian Screwpine Flan)
1 1/4 cup thinly sliced screw pine or kashikeyo (make very thin slices of the red fleshy part of the screw pine, 4 screw pines thinly sliced measures to 1 ¼ cup)
1 cup water
½ tin condensed milk
2 tbsp white flour
1 tbsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp sugar
- Add 1 cup water and 1 cup sliced screw pine to a pot and bring to a boil. Once the screwpine is well cooked remove from fire and leave to cool.
- Run the above in a mixie until you get a smooth paste. Now strain using a tea strainer such that the fibre and the fleshy content of the screw pine is separated.
- Pour the fleshy screwpine content into a bowl, add the eggs, condense milk, vanilla essence, flour and beat well.
- Caramalise sugar in a baking tray by heating the sugar with a drop of water until the sugar melts and turns golden brown. Now spread the left over ¼ cup of finely sliced screwpine on top of the caramalised sugar in the baking tray.
- Pour the screw pine mixture to this baking tray.
- In a preheated oven bake the above mixture for about 55 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Flip onto a plate. Cut into slices and serve as a dessert.
Note; If you prefer not to bake you can steam the same.