Oatmeal Date Cake
1 cup oatmeal (instant)
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter (at room temperature)
¼ cup white flour
½ tspn baking powder
¼ tspn salt
1 tspn vanilla essence
¼ cup hot water
1/2 cup dates (chopped finely)
¼ cup dry raisins
¼ cup pine nut or kanamadhu (cut finely)
- In a bowl, place the chopped dates and pour hot water. Keep aside for 15 minutes
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the white flour, baking powder and salt to the mixture
- Add the pine nuts, raisins, dates, vanilla essence and the oatmeal. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pre heat the oven. Grease a baking tray.
- Spoon the prepared mixture to the greased tray and bake for about 40 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool. Cut into pieces and serve with tea.
Note; In the absence of pine nut you can use the same quantity of chopped almonds It goes well as a side dish at the time of breaking fast