4 large potatoes skinned, boiled and mashed
3 cups Valhoamas (Maldivian smoked tuna) chopped
1 cherry pepper (Githeyo mirus)
3 onions finely chopped
2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp turmeric powder
20 curry leaves chopped
2 tsp pepper powder
4 eggs beaten with ½ tsp salt
250g bread crumbs
3 cups oil
4 tsp salt
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add ¾ of the onions, ½ of the chillie and ½ of the curry leaves. Fry until slightly brown and leave aside.
- Mix the remaining onion, curry leaves, chillie with lemon juice, pepper powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well until the juices from the onion flow into the mixture.
- Add the Valhoamas and mix well.
- Mix in the fried onions.
- Fold in the mashed potatoes. Mix thoroughly.
- Make 40 balls from the mixture.
- Apply egg batter and roll on bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Note: Alternatively, instead of curry leaf, if you have mint leaves, take a hand full of mint leaves, grind to a fine paste and add to the mixture.