1kg chicken (cut into large pieces)
2 liters water
6 onions (thinly sliced)
12 garliccloves (crushed)
3 inches ginger (crushed)
250g curd / plain yoghurt
3ripe tomatoes (chopped)
10 sprigs of coriander leaf (destemmed and chopped)
5 sprigs of mint leaf(destemmed and chopped)
1 large cherry chilli, (githeyomiruschopped)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup cooking oil
2 tsp ghee / butter
2 tsp sugar
2 pices of 4 inch rampe leaf
2 pieces of 4 inch cinnamon sticks
4 bay leaves
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp chillie powder
1 tsp rose water
1 tsp saffron
1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
250g kanamadhu (split vertically)
250g dry raisins
Seeds from 1 medium pomegranate
1 small carrot (gratedcoarsely)
50g green peas
4 hard boiled eggs (each cut into 4)
3tsp salt or according to taste
Biriyani curry paste
3 tsp of Maldivian Addu Havaadhu finely ground to paste OR 1 pkt Indian Biriyani Masala powder OR make a Biriyani spice by mixing the following ingredients:
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp fennel powder
½ tsp cinnamon cardamom powder
½ tsp chillie powder
Preparation of rice
- Add salt to taste, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 cardamoms, 1 rampe leaf, ¼ of mint leaves and ¼ of coriander leaf , 1 tsp turmeric poder to 2 litres of water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice to boiling water and cook until the rice is half boiled.
- Remove all the ingredients which were added to the rice with a spoon and discard.
- Drain the rice and spread it on a tray to cool.
Preparation of biriyani curry
- Mix lemon juice, salt, chillie powder, nutmeg powder, youghurt, sugar and turmeric powder.
- Add the prepared biriyani curry paste to the above mixture. Mix well.
- Add to the chopped chicken pieces and mix thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinate(minimum 1 hr, overnight marination is better).
- Heat oil and ghee / butter in a wok.
- Add the choppedkanamadhu and fry till golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Fry the raisins and transfer it to plate before the raisins pop.
- In the same oil, fry half of the chopped onions until they become golden brown and crispy. Remove and transfer to a plate.
- Put the remaining onion, ginger, garlic, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamons, rampe leaf and stir fry until brown. Add the chopped tomatoes
- Pour the marinated chicken into this.
- Cook the mixture on low heat until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, arrange chopped coriander, chopped mint, pomegranate seeds, eggs, carrots and green peas on a plate and leave aside.
- In a small bowl, mix saffron and rose water.
- Make a dough using plain flour and water and keep aside.
Layering the biriyani
- Take a large pot and grease it with oil.
- Divide the rice into 3 equal parts and arrange one layer of prepared rice inside the pot.
- Divide the chicken biriyani curry into 2 parts and pour a layer of chicken biriyani curry over the rice layer.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of rice over this curry layer
- Divide the fried onions, cashew nuts, raisins, pomegranate seeds, mint, coriander, carrot and green peas into 3 equal parts. Arrange one layer of these ingredients above the curry layer.
- Repeat with another layer of rice, curry and fried ingredients.
- Evenly arrange the remaining rice and sprinkle the fried ingredients on top of the layer of rice. Press down the rice with a spatula.
- Gently sprinkle the saffron mixture around the rice and allow this to sink.
- Press the flour dough around the edges under the lid. Cover the pot with this lid so that steam cannot escape once the pot is covered and pasted with the prepared dough.
- Place an old pan on the stove and put the biriyani pot on top of it.
- Put a weight on top and cook on low heat for one hour.
- When the dough covering the pot begins to harden it is time to remove the biriyani from the stove.
- Transfer to a serving dish, arrange boiled eggs(cut into half) and serve hot. (Refer menu plans for other accompanying dishes)
- Alternatively you may arrange the biriyani on a big baking tray and once ready bake it for one hour in low heat in the oven
- Note: Brinjal curry (a special dry curry…will post recipe soon) with apple and cucumber salad and fundi satani with paaparu with pirini and esbagul sharbath makes a lovely menu to go with this biriyani..