MAALHOSKEYLU HIKIRIHA (ASH PLANTAIN DRY CURRY)
5 green ash plantains
1 large onion (chopped)
¼ smoked tuna (chopped0
1 tbsp ghee
12 curry leaves
3 pieces of pandan leaf
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ cup thick coconut milk
2 tsp salt or according to taste
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp cumin seed
½ tsp fennel seed
½ tsp whole pepper grains
5 dried red chillie
Oil for deep frying
Preparation of curry powder
- Mix all the ingredients and roast on a low flame tossing continuously until the spices are brown and produce a roasted spicy aroma.
- Grind to powder and keep aside.
Preparation of curry
- Peel the skin of ash plantains and cut into 1 inch cubes. (Soak in water to prevent discoloration)
- Drain and immediately deep fry in oil until the ash plantains turn slightly golden brown.
- Remove form oil and transfer to absorbent kitchen paper.
- In a pot heat ghee. Add onion, curry leaves, pandan leaf and fry until golden brown.
- Mix in fried ash plantains, tuna, tomato paste, curry powder , sugar and salt.
- Toss well and add coconut milk.
- Mix again. Cover and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or roshi
Note; Those of you who are health conscious, please use olive oil instead of ghee (it would still taste lovely)
Alternatively if you do not wish to deep fry the ash plantains, boil or steam it, strain the water, apply a little olive oil and bake the ash plantains until golden brown and use as explained in the recipe. Enjoy!