Dhon Riha (A Maldivian Tuna Curry)
1 medium size skipjack tuna OR smoked tuna Valhoamas (skinned , boned and chopped into 1 inch chunks)
1 inch ginger (crushed)
¼ turmeric powder
1 cup coconut (grated)
2 cups thick coconut milk
1 cup thin coconut milk
½ tsp cinnamon cardamom powder
¼ tsp fenugreek powder Oabai
¼ tsp fennel seed powder Dhavigadhu
2 biling or 2 pieces of skinned raw mango
½ hot pepper chilli Githeyo mirus
8 curry leaves
4 inches rampe leaf
2 tsp salt or according to taste
1. Mix turmeric, fennel seed and 1 tsp salt with the grated coconut and grind to a smooth paste in the mixie.
2. Mix one cup thick coconut milk with one cup thin coconut milk. Add half the mixture of onion, ginger, cinnamon cardamom to this. Bring this mixture to a boil on a low heat.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the coconut paste, remaining onion, ginger and cinnamon cardamom. Coat the tuna with this mixture.
4. When the coconut milk begins to boil, add the tuna mixture, fenugreek powder, hot pepper chilli, biling or raw mango and remaining salt. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
5. When the curry begins to boil add the remaining coconut milk, stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Serve hot with rice.
Note: If mango is not skinned the curry may turn to a black colour.