Huni Hakuru (Coconut Sweet Snack)
2 cups flour (plain white flour)
½ cup hot water
1 tbsp oil
4 cups grated Gabulhi (young coconut)
½ cup jasmine water
¼ tsp cinnamon cardamom powder
Preparation of the dough
1. Add oil and water to the flour and mix well.
Make into a soft dough.
2. Divide the dough into 25 balls and roll into small roshis.
Preparation of the filling
1. Mix Gabulhi with sugar, jasmine water and cinnamon cardamom powder.
2. Heat the mixture over a low flame, stirring continiuosly until the sugar dissolves and the water evaporates.
3. Allow the mixture to thicken and leave the sides of the pan.
4. Remove from heat.
Preparation of Hunihakuru
1. Take the rolled out small roshi and put it on a plate.
2. Place a tbsp of the Hunihakuru filing and put in the centre.
3. Wet one of the edges of the Roshi with water.
4. Fold the Roshi into half and press the sides .
5. Now with the fingers, gently wrap the sides to make a ridged design OR make a design using a folk(as in the picture)
. 6. Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry unitil golden brown OR steam.
7. Serve cold.
Note: Some people may prefer to use rice flour instead of plain white flour, using plain flour as in this recipe is easier.
We like it steamed. Tradtionally it used to be wrapped in leaf and then steamed.
This is a delicous traditional sweet!