Bis Riha (Egg Curry: Maldivian style)
14 eggs (hard boiled)
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp fennel seed
¼ tsp cumin seed
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp turmeric powder
10 dried red chillie
1 cup grated coconut
3 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger (sliced)
2 inches cinnamon sticks
1 onion (chopped)
1 smoked Maldive fish (chopped into chunks)
1 tomato (peeled and chopped)
1 tbsp ghee or margarine
2 onions (thinly sliced)
10 curry leaves
4 inch pandan leaf (2 pieces)
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
2 cups thick coconut milk
1 cup thin coconut milk
2 ½ tsp salt or according to taste
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Roast on low flame constantly tossing the mixture until the coconut is golden brown. Be careful not to burn the ingredients.
- Remove from heat and grind to a smooth paste. (can use ¼ cup water while grinding)
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add onion, curry leaves, pandan leaf.
- Add smoked Maldivina tuna and tomato.
- Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Dissolve the above prepared curry paste in thin coconut milk and pour into the fried onion.
- Add salt and fenugreek seeds.
- Simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled eggs. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the thick coconut milk and simmer for few minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.